ADSM-L

Re: ADSM 3.1.2.40 DB unload/reload

2015-10-04 17:27:38
Subject: Re: ADSM 3.1.2.40 DB unload/reload
From: Werner Baur [mailto:Werner.Baur AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
I'm very pleased to move 5 ADSM servers to new machines until end of year.
In
order to be prepared to this interesting task I am evaluating some ways to
go.
Right now I am trying a dump/loaddb of one of the lareger  ADSM databases.
Database size is about 70 GB, 550,000,000 entries. Dump db on a RS/6000 R50,
AIX
4.2.1, ADSM 3.1.2.57, was pretty fast (7 hours). For load db on a RS/6000
S7A, AIX
4.3.2, you should provide some more time, at our environment 4 days. So we
can
safely exclude dump/load db as a way to move an large adsm server. A
interruption
of service for so many days is not acceptable.

BTW: Does anyone have an idea how to move an production server from one
machine to
another? The db is resided on SSA disks. So, in theoretically, we can attach
the
SSA loop to the new machine, issue an import volume group and that's it. Has
anybody done this before?

Any hints are welcome,
Werner

Tim Melly wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> There was a recent inquiry concerning *SM DB unloading-loading and the
> potential benefits/drawbacks.
> The stated benefit was a significant reduction in DB size (>90% to 52%)
but the

--
Werner Baur                    Tel.:++49-89-28928781
Werner Baur                    Tel.:++49-89-28928781