ADSM-L

Re: 3.1 client support after January 2001

2000-09-22 08:19:47
Subject: Re: 3.1 client support after January 2001
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 08:19:39 -0400
>We are in the process of upgrading our OS/390 ADSM 3.1 server to TSM 3.7. We
>have a number of client systems for which no 3.7 clients are available (one
>Solaris 2.5.1, one SCO OpenServer, and a number of HP-UX 10.20 systems). We
>will end up with these clients using 3.1 clients to connect to the 3.7 server.
>Earlier postings to this list make it clear that this is a supported mode of
>operation at present. What happens at the end of January 2001? That is the end
>of support for ADSM 3.1. As far as I can tell from Tivoli's Web site, that
>date applies to all parts of ADSM 3.1: server code and client code alike. Am I
>correct in understanding that there will be no supported means of providing
>TSM backup coverage for the clients mentioned above after January 31, 2001?

Thomas - End-of-support for a piece of software certainly does not mean that
         you cannot use it after that date.  You can use it indefinitely - as
long as it is compatible with what it connects to.  What your site management
is not doing is seeing that your site as a whole is advancing as technology
evolves.  If they leave Solaris systems frozen in time, there are ripple
effects in the organization.  That is something they need to address, not
leave you to deal with.  Solaris 2.5.1 is very old stuff now, and your site
needs to make decisions on either upgrading that system or isolating it (give
it a tape drive and let it do its own primitive backups).
  Richard Sims, BU