ADSM-L

Re: Slow restore for large NT client outcome.. appeal to Tivoli D evelopment/Support

2000-09-21 09:47:23
Subject: Re: Slow restore for large NT client outcome.. appeal to Tivoli D evelopment/Support
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 09:47:28 -0400
>That may be because from what I have seen in TSM 3.7, directories are
>actually kept in the TSM database and not on tape.

Careful, there.  It depends upon the file system type and added baggage.
Ordinary Unix file system directory information is like an empty file, and
so its limited info can be kept in the database.  But add an Access Control
List (ACL) to an AIX directory, for example, and it has to be stored in a
storage pool.  From what I've seen, file systems such as NTFS, laden with
additional info, always have to be stored in a storage pool.  When in doubt,
a Query Content should reveal what's really happening.
   Richard Sims, BU