ADSM-L

Re: 3570 Volumes status=empty. Why?

2000-09-20 18:36:42
Subject: Re: 3570 Volumes status=empty. Why?
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 17:34:50 -0500
Ken,

"Some of our 3570 volumes are being reclaimed OK, except instead of being
deleted
out of the library, some of them go to an "empty" status.  Do any of you know
why this is happening??  Yet other volumes reclaim to their end and then get
deleted from the library, as they should."

We've seen that, too.

Typically I'll reclaim about ten to twelve 3570 tapes from our temporary archive
pool using a 3570B library.  They all toggle to "pending" when their data are
removed.  Reuse delay is set to five days.  After five days, most of the tapes
disappear from the storage pool automatically, but I always have two or three
that don't.  For those I have to do a Move Media to delete them.

At first I thought it was an issue of how they came to be removed from the
library.  For a while I was using "audit library" as a shortcut for "checkout"
(ugly - I know).  But I haven't done that in almost a year, and the archives
expire after five weeks, so any tapes affected by that faux pas should have been
recycled long ago.  Now all tape removals from any storage pool are via the Move
Media (to "local storage") command.  That is how we've operated the system for
about nine months now.  Tapes affected by that early bad practice couldn't be
"moved" because ADSM didn't know where they were; "volume location" was blank.
Now all the tapes have valid locations from being "moved" out of the storage
pool, this should no longer be an issue.

And yet...

I always end up with two or three tapes that don't go away automatically.

I, too, would like an explanation.

Tab Trepagnier
Laitram Corporation