ADSM-L

tape copy of export tapes (windows 2000)

2000-09-16 08:19:58
Subject: tape copy of export tapes (windows 2000)
From: Joachim Linnenberg <joachim.linnenberg AT GMX DOT DE>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 14:05:06 +0200
Can you use tsm to make a backup copy of export tapes for offsite storage?

The situation: We migrate from ADSM 3.1 AIX with 8mm library to TSM 4.1 on
NT with DLT library. The only way to do this seems to be the export and
import of all nodes. This is a terribly slow way. So we decided to do the
following:

start with a new server without any imports
switch all nodes to the new server
when all nodes have been switched: export the nodes on the old server and
keep them in place
make a copy all the exported nodes for offsite storage
In the rare case that we have to restore objects from an export tape we
will setup a 2nd server, import the tapes and do the restore.

Well the problem now is to make a copy of the export tapes. Of course we
could do the export twice, but that would take several days for a single
node, especially when the node is on more tapes than we have slots in the
library. And I hate to play a tape jockey for several months ...

Thanks,
Joachim Linnenberg       Phone: +49-231-9792-154
PRO DV Software AG       FAX: +49-231-9792-200
Hauert 6                 mailto:Joachim.Linnenberg AT prodv DOT de
44227 Dortmund           http://www.prodv.de