ADSM-L

Re: 3494library Dismounts

2000-09-15 15:49:17
Subject: Re: 3494library Dismounts
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:48:52 -0400
>     I am having trouble with reboots of AIX and Sun Solaris boxes that
>have 3494 libraries attached.  If a tape is mounted at the time the system
>is rebooted or crashes, when adsm comes back up, the drive is inaccessible.
>The error message in the activity log after the startup of adsm, will tell
>you that a tape will not dismount.  This is happening at various levels of
>AIX, Sun Solaris, Atape.driver and IBMtape.

Bill - Yup.  Each maintenance level of the server has different problems.
       You can go to a more advanced maintenance level and have different
problems, or compensate for the one you have now.  Fortunately, this one is
easy to deal with:  Update your rc.adsmserv to contain like:

# BU addition: Dismount any and all tapes left stranded in drives in the
# server shutdown preceding this bring-up.  Do this synchronously so that
# it's certain that it occurs before server start-up.  Note that each
# dismount may take a minute or so.  RBS
/usr/bin/mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -d -f /dev/rmt1
/usr/bin/mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -d -f /dev/rmt2
/usr/bin/mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -d -f /dev/rmt3
/usr/bin/mtlib -l /dev/lmcp0 -d -f /dev/rmt4

    Richard Sims, BU