ADSM-L

Re: Migration to new tape devices

2000-09-15 13:20:37
Subject: Re: Migration to new tape devices
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:20:28 -0400
> I am soon to be migrating from 3490 tape technology to 3590E tape
> technology.  Will the following work?
>
> Say I have the following storage pools:
>
> DISK1      (Disk storage pool - next storage pool = TAPE1)
> TAPE1     (3490 sequential access pool)
> TAPE2     (3590 sequential access pool)
> OFF1        (3490 copy pool for DISK1 and TAPE1)
> OFF2        (3590 copy pool)
>
> If I were to set the "Next Storage Pool" field on TAPE1 pool to be
> TAPE2 and set the TAPE1 pool access to READONLY, will the TAPE1 pool
> basically be skipped and the TAPE2 pool be used as secondary storage for
> pool DISK1?

I don't know, but you can force data movement from DISK1 to TAPE2 simply by
updating the definition of DISK1 to specify TAPE2 as its next storage pool.

> Also, if I set the "Reclamation Threshold" on pool TAPE1 to a very low
> percentage, or even like 1%, will the tapes recycle to pool TAPE2?

Lowering the migration threshold on TAPE1 would trigger data transfer to
TAPE2. You could also update TAPE1 to specify TAPE2 as its RECLAIMSTGPOOL.
That would cause reclamation to move data from TAPE1 to TAPE2.

Dropping the appropriate threshold to 1% would cause ADSM to attempt to copy
all or nearly all of the old tapes in one fell swoop. You might want to
consider a more gradual approach. For example, you could set up the
RECLAIMSTGPOOL parameter as described above and gradually lower the
reclamation threshold as the 3490 population thins out.

> Lastly, if I were to set the "Next Storage Pool" field on OFF1 pool to
> be OFF2 and set the OFF1 pool access to READONLY, and then if I set the
> "Reclamation Threshold" on pool OFF1 to a very low percentage, or even
> like 1%, will the tapes recycle to pool OFF2?

There is no next storage pool parameter for copy storage pools. As far as I
know, there is only one way to migrate the offsite copies: move the onsite
data, run "backup stgpool" commands to copy the contents of TAPE2 to OFF2, and
delete the volumes in OFF1 once you have all the data copied to OFF2.