ADSM-L

Re: need help in developing a better backup procedure

2000-09-05 10:17:23
Subject: Re: need help in developing a better backup procedure
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:17:01 -0400
> Step3. Backup databases using In-house written interface program.
> This code was written part Assembler and COBOL and runs under TSO and in
> TEST mode.   The program performs the following sequence of actions.
>
>         a. Logs on to ADSM server as Administrator using TSO Admin client
>         b. Defines an immediate schedule for the client using the DEFINE
> CLIENTA command to Archive the database files.
>         c. Queries the server every X number of minutes to find out the
> status of the schedule
>         d. At end of the schedule, queries ADSM Event logs for additional
> information and returns a status condition code.
>         e. Returns condition code for incremental backup failed files (ADSM
> schedule returns COMPLETED even if there are failed files)

TSM 4.1 introduces a 'wait=yes' parameter for the 'define clientaction'
command. This would eliminate the need for the polling described in step c
above. The usefulness of this new feature would have to weighed against the
risks involved in being one of the earlier adopters of a new TSM release.
Given the product's history of poor quality control, I personally would judge
these risks to be unacceptable at present.