ADSM-L

Re: TSM and checkin libv

2000-08-30 18:26:54
Subject: Re: TSM and checkin libv
From: Steven P Roder <tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 18:27:08 -0400
> I have just upgraded to TSM 3.7.3 from ADSM V3 R1, and I am having trouble
> with
> the checkin libv command and my 3494 library.  I worked under ADSM V3 and it
> does not look like the docs have changed on the command.
>
> The operators run a script after bringing empty tapes from offsite and putting
> them in the library.  The script issues the following:
>
> checkin libv ccso3494 status=scratch checkl=barcode search=yes
>
> This command used to just put all the inserted tapes back into scratch, but
> now it fails with the following:
>
> ANR8403E CHECKIN LIBVOLUME: Operation not allowed for 349X libraries.
> ANS8001I Return code 3.
>
> The help for checkin libv does say the checkl=bar works for 3494 libraries.
>
> To get the command to work today, I had to change checkl=bar to checkl=yes or
> take the parm out of the command completely.
>
> I can also get it to work if I say checkl=no, which seems to go against the
> advice in the docs...  Doesn't seem right.. eh?

I experienced the same behavior, and opted for checkl=no.  If you stop and
think about it, when the Library Manager puts the tapes from the I/O
station into cells, it reads the barcodes, making checkl=barcode
redundant, in a way.

It would have been nice, though, assuming this was an intential design
change, to have been notified about this in the README file...

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
ADSM Administrator
(tkssteve AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564 |
http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)