ADSM-L

Re: Slow restore

2000-08-28 08:26:19
Subject: Re: Slow restore
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:26:10 -0400
>When I do a NETSTAT on the TSM Server (3466 with TSM 3.7.2) I get the
>following output.
>
>I wonder what Send-Q means and why the value is that high!
>
>Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address
>tcp4       0  63800  nsm_backbone.ill.1500  node2_backbone.i.3963

The Q(ueue) counts are byte counts.  Send-Q is the count of bytes not
acknowledged by the remote host (it's the sb_cc character count in socket
struct).  A value of 63800 may or may not be high: if communication is
intense, this may simply reflect a lot going on, and not a problem.
(The AIX documentation fails to explain what these values are: you'll
find a much better description in the Linux man page for the 'netstat'
command, sadly.)

>Is there a documentation on how to trap slow restore performance?

I've accumulated a bunch of real-world things to look at in the
"Restoral performance" topic of http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.funcdir .

   Richard Sims, BU