ADSM-L

Re: Database sizing question

2000-08-23 04:19:46
Subject: Re: Database sizing question
From: Luuk Kleibrink <luuk_kleibrink AT DELTALLOYD DOT NL>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:17:41 +0100
Peter,

The data base size is not only dependent on the number of files on de servers
(clients) and the retention period but also on the number of versions you keep.
Our data base (on OS/390) is 11.2 GigaBytes in size. Our client contain over 4
million files, retention period is (for most) 365 days and we keep a maximum of
13 versions. The total number of backup versions we keep in de data base is
apprx. 13 million (and growing).

128 Gb is an unworkable data base size. Our weekly full DB-backup and daily
Expire Inventory both take ~1.5 hours and this would take 10 times longer with a
128 Gb DB. (Most other processes will also take longer, e.q. Storage Pool
backups, Migration, etc.)

Luuk Kleibrink
Delta Lloyd Nuts Ohra