ADSM-L

Re: Long Tern Storage - Backupsets/Archive/Other?

2000-08-21 15:57:43
Subject: Re: Long Tern Storage - Backupsets/Archive/Other?
From: Eric Lindbeck <elindbec AT SCTCORP DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:56:25 -0400
Whew!  I'm glad as well.  This has always seemed like such a basic
need, and yet whenever I'd bring it up (with a consultant or the like)
I'd get 'the look' and the reply that I should just increase my
retention policies.  It's nice to find someone who is like-minded on
this issue.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with DRM.  But from what I
know of it, it would seem appropriate for it to handle the management
of all volumes that reside outside of the library, regardless of how
they got there or why.  (Ideally, I'd also question why DRM is sold
separately and not as a standard part of the TSM product.  Q: What
good are backups if you can't do DR, anyway?  A: 99.99% good.  But
that .01%, where the true disaster resides, is fatal.)

Out of curiousity, what is the party line for why a 'snapshot' feature
wasn't implemented long ago, and is now only starting to appear?  I
get the feeling that the conventional (TSM) wisdom is that, with few
exceptions, only the most recent data needs to be worried about.  Is
that a fair assessment?

Eric S. Lindbeck

                    "Barth, Terry V.
                    (MBS)"                        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                    <Terry.Barth@MORTGAGEF        cc:
                    AMILY.COM>                    Subject:     Re: Long Tern
Storage - Backupsets/Archive/Other?
                    Sent by: "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

                    08/21/00 12:33 PM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

Eric - All I can say is "BINGO" - you hit exactly what I was talking
about -
I am glad that I am not the only one who has seen this.

What I do not understand, is why they did not implement the
Backupsets/Instant Archive to be handled under DRM - just as the DB
backups
and the copy pools are - atleast, that would be something.

My preference would be to have a longer retention for copy pools,
thus, less
time and access spent for the server.