ADSM-L

ms exchange updating winnt directory

2000-08-18 08:18:09
Subject: ms exchange updating winnt directory
From: "Frost, Dave" <dave.frost AT TELEVAULTIT DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:10:38 +0100
Hi *SMers

We were restoring an exchange server to a point-in-time - both the server
itself and exchange.  While we were restoring the server, we found that
there were no "winnt" directories for the date we wanted.  Investigating
this, we have found that if the nt server is NOT running exchange, then the
winnt directory rarely gets updated, but if it IS running exchange, then the
winnt directory gets updated (and hence backed up and so expired) every day.
The files within the directory do not _appear_ change.

Has anybody else seen this behaviour?  Is there a way round it aside from a
special dirmc with the same retentions as the exchange node itself?

dave
--
"on a clear disk, you can seek for ever."
"on a clear disk, you can seek for ever."

www.guardianit.com                                                          The
information contained in this email is confidential and intended only for the
use of the individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this message is
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
Guardian iT Group will accept no responsibility or liability in respect to this
email other than to the addressee.  If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately via email: postmaster AT guardianit DOT com