ADSM-L

Re: Oracle Agent

2000-08-16 11:34:41
Subject: Re: Oracle Agent
From: James Thompson <mezron AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:34:44 MST
The TSM product Tivoli Data Protection for Oracle or the earlier ADSM
connect agent for Oracle work the same way.   Both of them allow Oracle's
RMAN or EBU to use the TSM Server as the repository for the backups.   In
affect, the TSM Server appears to Oracle as a storage/tape device.   It
sends data to the device and recalls it from the device.

All the workings for how database tables are handled is done by Oracle.  The
TSM product is just the interface between Oracle and the TSM server.

Answers to your questions.

1.  YES, done through Oracles RMAN or EBU
2.  The connect agent does not access the Oracle tables directly.  RMAN or
EBU send the data to the TSM server using the connect agent.
3.  Whatever amount RMAN or EBU decides to send.
4.  The connect agent does not require that the ADSM client code is
installed.   Just the API package is required.  Oracle must be configured to
use the connect agent as a storage device.  The connect agent must be
configured to talk to the ADSM Server.  Then you have
the following.
  Oracle <-> RMAN or EBU <-> Connect Agent <-> ADSM Server.

Regards,

James Thompson