ADSM-L

Impatient clients on ADSM with 3494

2015-10-04 17:28:40
Subject: Impatient clients on ADSM with 3494
From: Robert Cross [mailto:Robert.Cross AT SCOTTISH-NEWCASTLE.CO DOT UK]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
I've got a funny 'fault' with our system, (3.1.2.40 server with attached
four
drive 3494),
as follows:

Clients set restores going, and most of the time there's no problems. But,
every so
often, we get a restore which needs data on a lot of tapes, (for example 30
or
more).
Invariably this restore will fail at some point, and the problem appears to
be
that
it thinks that there are no mount points (drives) free. Most of the time
this
appears
to true, although the drives are at status 'idle', (why doesn't it dismount
the
tapes!?).
Other times it appears that the server just cannot load the tape quick
enough to
satisfy the client - which ends up with the now-dreaded 'data unavailable to
server'
message. Worst still, on occasion we have drives 0 and 2 free, 1 and 3 in
use
and
the clients regard this as 'no mount points available' - why?

Our most consistent workaround appears to be keep an eye on the restore and
manually dismount the tape it's just finished with, especially if the
restore
is using
drives 1 or 3. We've tried setting the mountretention's on both drive and
library
device classes down to five minutes but this doesn't help.

Is there some other timeout value, esp. on the client, that I've overlooked?

And has anyone seen problems like this with the 3494's?

Any assistance greatly welcome, even 'no idea - report to Tivoli/IBM'.

Bob Cross.

This message is confidential.  It may also be privileged or
protected by other legal rules.  It does not constitute an
offer or acceptance of an offer, nor shall it form any part
of a legally binding contract.  If you have received this
communication in error, please let us know by reply then
destroy it.  You should not use, print, copy the message or
disclose its contents to anyone.

E-mail is subject to possible data corruption, is not
secure, and its content does not necessarily represent the
opinion of this Company.  No representation or warranty is
made as to the accuracy or completeness of the information
and no liability can be accepted for any loss arising from
its use.

This e-mail and any attachments are not guaranteed to be
free from so-called computer viruses and it is recommended
that you check for such viruses before down-loading it to
your computer equipment.  This Company has no control over
other websites to which there may be hypertext links and no
liability can be accepted in relation to those sites.

Scottish & Newcastle plc
Registered in Scotland, Registered Number 16288
Registered Office: 50 East Fettes Avenue, Edinburgh, EH4 1RR