ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Solaris client

2000-08-09 07:51:26
Subject: Re: ADSM Solaris client
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 07:51:26 -0400
>We are using Solaris 2.6 backup client to back up our unix servers. Every
>week or so after having started the dsm scheduler the scheduler crops out
>saying that "cannot open the dsmsched.log file".

You didn't provide us with any information about the operating environment
or the context of the problem so that we can better advise, so what we can
provide will be limited...
Is there a dsmerror.log being produced, with some info in it about this?
Did the problem just start happening after months of no problems doing
backups?  If so, pursue what changed in the environment.
Do the permissions on the directory or the log file change over time, as in
something altering them?  Is the backup being started with the current
directory being in a file system with some odd (weekly) housekeeping going on?
Is the file system going full at some times of the day?  Make sure the file
systems are being monitored by some alerting program.
Is the process or the system running out of file handles at event time?
Use 'lsof' or comparable program to check what files this process has open,
and potentially have cron do so hourly to accumulate info to see what's
occurring when the problem thresholds.

    Richard Sims, BU