ADSM-L

Re: HIGH CPU USAGE

2000-08-07 12:25:36
Subject: Re: HIGH CPU USAGE
From: John Monahan <JohnMonahan AT LIBERTYDIVERSIFIED DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:25:36 -0500
I also had this problem with the exact same symptoms and had an open PMR
for about 2 months on this issue.  After several traces and running
debugging code my problem was narrowed down to a problem or conflict with
NAV running and the CreateFile() Win32 API.  TSM calls CreateFile() during
backup and this was where it was hanging and driving the CPU up to 100%.
One of the TSM developers gave me a utility to just test the API call
outside of TSM, and it also caused the high CPU utilization, so the problem
was determined to be "outside the scope of TSM".  All my clients are
virtually identical, this problem started on one client and seemed to
spread to another client every 2 weeks.  About 25% of my clients were
experiencing the problem before we found the cause.

Shutting down all NAV services during the backup is a workaround for my
problem, just disabling autoprotect didn't help, the actual services had to
be stopped.  If you're also running NAV on your client, try shutting the
services down.  If your problem seems similar, I'll be glad to share more
specific information.

    John Monahan
    Network Administrator
    Liberty Diversified Industries
    (763) 536-6677

                    Len Boyle
                    <SNOLEN AT VM DOT SA        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    S.COM>               cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: HIGH CPU USAGE
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    08/06/00
                    10:47 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

In article <20000804.081017.725555.NETNEWS AT VM.SAS DOT COM>, "Pabalate, Ed"
<epabala AT CITY.NORFOLK.VA DOT US> says:

>Our network guy complaining and stated:
>
>"I=92m experiencing a problem with ADSM with the following symptom:  =
>cpu
>usage, after less than a day, is shown to be at 100% because of the
>dsmcsvc.exe process.  Further, I am unable to kill the process except =
>by

Hello Ed

I happened to run into a problem that looks just like yours this past
week. We were using the adsm client 3.1.07.9  on a windows nt 4 sp 5
system running on a dell dual cpu server. And this code has been in
use since last spring.  What we saw was that the backup finished
the C drive and had started working on the D drive. After 98 to 88
thousand files it stopped updating the dsmerror.log and dsmsched.log
files. The tsm server (3.7.3) had the idle time kick in 10 hours
after the last message in the dsmsched.log.
(note: The idle timeout is set looong to stop timing out the
 second tsm sessions).

Stopping the scheduler service and restarting the service did not
stop the dsmcsvc.exe file that was using up a little over 50% of
the cpu. But now there were two dsmcsvc.exe tasks.
I believe that I could reproduce the problem with a manual backup.
But I was a little rushed to fit in a restart of the system so
I did not get to check as well as I liked.

I opened a trouble (etr/pmr) report with IBM/TVIOLI and they are looking
at the problem.

I upgraded the client to tsm 4.1 and the problem is still there.

I suspect that something is wrong with the ntfs file system and the
tsm client is not handling the error correctly.

If you have support, you should open a problem report with IBM/TIVOLI
Please let us know how you make out.

Leonard Boyle                               snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle                               snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room RB448                                  len.boyle AT sas DOT com
1 SAS Campus Drive                        (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
Cary NC 27513