ADSM-L

Re: Getting a list of onsite to reclaim offsite tapes.

2000-08-03 22:57:56
Subject: Re: Getting a list of onsite to reclaim offsite tapes.
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 19:57:56 -0700
Hi Mark!

With collocation on for onsite and not for offsite,
I have found that the process of reclamation offsite tapes
reads just about every tape in my library.  I've thought about it:
every day, every user sends me some backup data.  I put it on their very
own tape (well not very own!) and hopefully before that, I put it on the
1/2 of a tape that's going to offsite.  So every offsite tape has every
user that's run a backup over a 2 day period. To 'reconstruct' that
offsite tape from onsite collocates means I gotta mount ever users-tape
that's on the tape.  I guess the fact I have rec=20 enters into too.
If you're rec'ing tapes at 80 instead it might not be as intensive.

It would be interesting to run
a select command to see if its true.  Let me know if you come up with one.

I'm running this to reclamate about 20 tapes (out of 160)
and I do it over a whole weekend and I mean WHOLE
(fri nite to mon a.m. sometimes)

cheers ... joe.f.

P.S>  say hello to Ann-Marie Marcoux for me!!! (kiss-kiss!)

Joseph A Faracchio,  Systems Programmer, UC Berkeley