ADSM-L

ibm3494 question

2000-08-02 16:03:02
Subject: ibm3494 question
From: Gerald Wichmann <gwichmann AT SANSIA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 13:03:02 -0700
On an ibm3494 hooked up to an ibm h70 running aix 4.3.3 and tsm 3.7.3, what
the procedure to checking out 30 tapes? I am familiar with smaller magstar
libraries where a simple checkout libvol command will spit the tape out of
the entry/exit port. Does this also work with the ibm3494 or do I need to
use the console at the rear of the library? Reason I?m asking is I?m trying
to determine how much operating intervention will be required to do this (I
am remote of the 3494).

Secondly, I also need to check in 30 tapes. Again with magstars that I?m
familiar with I could have the tapes placed in the entry/exit port and
remotely issue checkin libvol commands within TSM and the library sucks the
tape in and does all the work. Can I have an operator stick 30 blank
pre-labelled tapes into the 3494 and then do a checkin command without
instructing him to go to the console?

Appreciate any help on the details of doing these two steps!

Gerald Wichmann
RS Engineer
Sansia System Solutions
408-844-8893 work