ADSM-L

Re: TSM 4.1 announcement & pricing change

2000-07-31 21:25:44
Subject: Re: TSM 4.1 announcement & pricing change
From: Len Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 21:25:44 EDT
In article <BABA1898D52ED4119F8400D0B76FEA2233382E@WHQ_EXCHANGE_2>, "Kauffman,
Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM> says:

>Am I missing something here? I've been working my way through the
>announcement letter (200-245) on 4.1 where "Tivoli introduces Value-Based
>Pricing model. . ." and I can't find any *detail* on the new pricing.
>
>There's no list of points per feature or per server, and nothing to indicate
>what the points per dollar (or, more likely, dollars per point) will be. Is
>this because the model isn't fully refined yet? Or is this intentional?
>
>Tom Kauffman
>NIBCO, Inc

Hello Tom

If you have access to an IBMLINK userid, the price per point is listed.

In the public ann letter on www.ibmlink.ibm.com,
there is a chart for the number of points for each of four types
of platforms. For software it lists as 2 points for a client class
of machine and 100 for a tier one server and 200 points for a tier 2
and 400 points for tier3 server.

Later they have a set of feature codes for buying one and 250 points
of tsm base server
   tsm lan  support
   tsm san  support
   tsm library sharing
The adsm/tsm open system feature (used for afs and/or os/390 hfs] is
no longer.I think that each hfs client machine requires the tsm lan
feature uner the new scheme.

But I see no feature code for a tsm client user feature. Does this
mean that they no longer will be charging extra for clients.
Except for the agent client which are now separate products.
And appear to cost a lot more if installed on a server class machine.
But if installed on a client machine it appears that they are a lot
cheaper. (backup agents for db2, ms exchange, ms sql, oracle etc).

So it appears that a single  server entry cost has increased
over three fold, That a medium sized server may be cheaper.
But if you have the server installed on a large server with
connections to a number of libraries and you have a large number
of client agents then you could end of paying more.

Can anyone From Tivoli ask the marketing manager shine some light
on the new method of charging. Also we map our old software
licenses to the new scheme at the end of our current license
period.

Leonard Boyle                               snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
Leonard Boyle                               snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room RB448                                  len.boyle AT sas DOT com
1 SAS Campus Drive                        (919) 677-8000 ext 6241
Cary NC 27513