ADSM-L

Re: Windows 2000 backup

2000-07-25 20:23:00
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 backup
From: Mike Dile <Mike_Dile AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 17:23:00 -0700
Trevor,

My main question is do I need to run all of these commands or does an
incremental backup of the C: drive pick up everything as needed.

> The backup of the C: drive only includes the Registry.

If these command do need to be run outside a normal incremental backup how are
others scheduling these commands?

> You will need to schedule a backup of each system object in a batch file and
schedule the execution of the batch file.  The batch file would include commands
such as:  DSMC BACKUP EVENTLOG, DSMC BACKUP SYSVOL ... etc.

How often?

How do you see that the backup worked?

>  Tivoli recommends backing-up the system objects during along the same
timeframe as the file systems.

Can you restore version other than the most recent backup?

> This function is not currently supported.

If these command do not need to be run on a regular basis what are they there
for?

> These commands should be executed on a regular basis to ensure that you will
be able to restore your entire system.

I am most concerned that I am not backing up everything that I need in order to
restore a complete system.

Submitted for:

J.P. (Jim) Smith
Tivoli Storage Manager - Software Development
e-mail: spike AT tivoli DOT com

Regards,

Mike Dile
Mike_Dile AT tivoli DOT com