ADSM-L

Re: Asking : Re: TRying to read ACTLOG

2000-07-25 07:08:52
Subject: Re: Asking : Re: TRying to read ACTLOG
From: Vincent CADET <Vincent.Cadet AT IRISLINK DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:08:52 +0200
Hehe :-)

On se résume:
>Is it possible ?
Yessss ;-)

>Will I get "catastrophic error" ?
Noooo. Only if you want to send the UserID/password
pair when opening the connection. Just wait for the
driver to prompt you for them and it will be OK. That
error never occurs in Access since it always ask you
the UID and PWD.

>How do I link ACCESS to ACTLOG ?
If you have installed TSM client, you might have
selected ODBC (customized install only!). The
documentation says ODBC drivers only install on
english systems; I've got many english systems on
which I never saw ODBC in the customized install.

There might be an additional requirement that forces
your regional settings to be US English.

But let's back. If you haven't any TSM ODBC drivers
installed, just reinstall TSM client (last PTF is
also a good idea), selecting "Customized install".
In "Client files" you should be able to check "ODBC
drivers". If not, then you have a problem (for which
there is a workaround)...

The machine will reboot (noooooo ?). Afterwards,
create a new Access DB and a new table; choose "Link
table" and "ODBC database" in the "File of type" list.
The ODBC control panel will appear. Just click on the
"New" button to create an ODBC link to TSM database.

You'll be prompted for the server name (not critical,
use it to distinguish between other ODBC Data Source
Names, DSN) and the server address (type "locahost"
if TSM is on the same machine, or the server IP
adress, not the NETBIOS name). Other fields needn't
be changed.

Once you have defined the new DSN, Access will ask
you what table you want to link to. Select ACTLOG as
it appears in the list. The bound table will be
read-only.

There you are.

If you cannot install TSM ODBC, I've got some info
you might be interrested in: that describes how to
manually install TSM ODBC. It worked fine for one of
my machines.

Regards,
Vince