ADSM-L

DIRMC Questions

2000-07-18 11:32:48
Subject: DIRMC Questions
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 10:32:48 -5
On 17 Jul 2000, at 21:46, Leo Humar wrote:
> G'day Mike,
>
> Do you have a separate management class for directories and is it on the
> disk ?
> Our performance was not good without DIRMC.

I'm finding directory backup confusing and not well documented.

A month or so ago I asked, and someone replied "why" *SM does dir
backups.  With this comment and some digging on my own, I have more
questions:

1)  From what I can find in the documentation, if you DON't use
DIRMC, then directories go into the mgt class with the longest
retension.
        - Is this true?
        - what does "longest retension" mean?
                - longest retained deleted version?
                - most versions?

2)  If (1) is true, doesn't this become a problem?  Were planning a
mgt class for 7 year retension for certain things.  This would mean
that all directories backed up into that policy set would be kept for
7 years.

3)  What happens if directory retension expires before the files?
If I create a mgt class for directories that keeps directories for,
say, 6 months, and I keep files for 1 yr - what's the effect?

4)  Whan you create a mgt class for directories, what kind of
policies  should you use?
        - keep all versions for the length of the longest
                retained file?
        - keep just the current version?
        - ?????

5)  Didn't someone indicate that directory backups were kept in the
db?

Am I confused?  You Bet!!!

Rick