ADSM-L

Migrating from AIX ADSM to HPUX TSM

2000-07-14 16:50:07
Subject: Migrating from AIX ADSM to HPUX TSM
From: "Slaughter, Bill" <BillSlaughter AT TUPPERWARE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:50:07 -0400
I am putting together a plan for the migration from an RS6000 AIX 4.3.3 ADSM
3.1 Server to HPUX 11.0 TSM 3.7 and I am looking for some help.

I think I understand Server-to-Server communications (But am Fuzzy) to know
that I can define a loopback server but I am confused on how that can help
me during the migration. Which server to define to whom as the loopback.

Some data will need to be preserved (Migrated) and some data I would like to
just expire off (i.e. Archives) and hope we don't need to restore.

The ones I know I need, I will export. I would like to know is the tape I
create on the AIX System in a STK 9710 DLT7000 "readable/importable" by the
HPUX 11.0 running TSM 3.7 with the same STK Library (Unhooked from the AIX
server) and connected up to the HP.

I would like to make a clean break to the new platform and idealy if there
was a way to do that I would persue that path. I have an Additional Q47 Tape
Library with 4 DLT 4000 drives that I can attach to the AIX server but the
media is not compatible with the STK DLT 7000. We once used that library in
production but now it is surplus. I have even thought of creating a
COPYGROUP on the Q47 for the conversion of tapes.

I have also thought about cabling one of the 8 drives in the STK back to the
AIX server as a manual DLT7000 drive if needed to recover individual tapes
during the conversion. I may have issues opening the library to mount a
tape.

Is there a way I can attach the STK 9710 to the HP and read the old data via
the HP system if I needed to recover any old data? In an emergency I could
re-cable but I would not like that to be my plan as I plan on selling the
RS6K when I don't need it anymore.

Your thoughts and ideas would be welcome.

Bill Slaughter
Tupperware U.S., Inc.
14901 S. Orange Blossom Trail
Orlando, FL 32837