ADSM-L

Re: Losing connection--help!

2000-07-14 12:27:27
Subject: Re: Losing connection--help!
From: Raul Giraldo Suarez <rgiraldo AT BANCOLOMBIA.COM DOT CO>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 11:27:27 -0500
Hi scotty.  I had a similar problem with a server.   Incremental backup
was very slow because is was comparing.  Then I made a full Backup which
worked well.  Next scheduled backup was successfull.

Try that.

Raúl Giraldo Suárez.
TSM Administrator Bancolombia

Scotty Logan <swl AT STANFORD DOT EDU>@VM.MARIST.EDU> con fecha 14/07/2000
10:54:08 AM

Por favor, responda a Scotty Logan <swl AT stanford DOT edu>

Enviado por:   "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

Destinatarios: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
CC:

Asunto:   Re: Losing connection--help!

On 13 July 2000, Kathleen M Hallahan wrote:
> We've been having a problem for the last three nights, and again
> about 2 weeks ago, with the same few servers.  They start to back up
> according to their schedule, and after a certain point (the same
> point every time, generally) the connection gets dropped.  It
> reestablishes successfully, but the process repeats itself ad
> infinitum, unless I manually cancel the active sessions.
> --------------------
> 07/12/00   18:00:08  ANR0406I Session 13139 started for node BC1NTSPB>
> 07/12/00   18:00:08  ANR0406I Session 13139 started for node BC1NTSPB
(WinNT)
>                       (Tcp/Ip 161.107.157.166(1622)).
> 07/12/00   18:09:33  ANR0480W Session 13139 for node BC1NTSPB (WinNT)
>                       terminated - connection with client severed.
> 07/12/00   18:19:06  ANR0480W Session 13155 for node BC1NTSPB (WinNT)
>                       terminated - connection with client severed.
> 07/12/00   18:28:34  ANR0480W Session 13174 for node BC1NTSPB (WinNT)
>                       terminated - connection with client severed.
> 07/12/00   18:38:02  ANR0480W Session 13181 for node BC1NTSPB (WinNT)
>                       terminated - connection with client severed.

We had similar problems recently when a network switch was
accidentally rebooted - several Solaris servers disagreed with the
switch about whether the link was full or half duplex.  The dropped
connections were fairly regularly spaced, as your's appear to be.  The
problems stopped after the switch and servers were forced to
re-negotiate (or the port settings were fixed on the switch).

We still get one or two ANR0480Ws per day, but those are user induced.

  Scotty

--
Scotty Logan - swl AT stanford DOT edu - Unix & ADSM admin - Stanford
UniversiScotty Logan - swl AT stanford DOT edu - Unix & ADSM admin - Stanford

"How many times do I have to tell ya... the right tool for the right job!"
  Scotty, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier