ADSM-L

Re: Cleaning tapes and Checkin

2000-07-13 14:19:36
Subject: Re: Cleaning tapes and Checkin
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:19:36 -0400
>With our 3494 I find that just sticking a cleaning tape in the box
>and then updating the "Cleaning MASK Menu" to inform the box of the
>cleaning tape's volid works for us.

To add to that, I thought the 3570 (which the original poster was working
with) did its own cleaning.  The CLEAN DRIVE command description says:

   "Note: Do not use this command for SCSI libraries that have their own
   automatic cleaning in the device hardware (for example, STK 9710, IBM 3570,
   and IBM 3575)"

and the v.3.1 README.SRV file says:

   Drive Cleaning Support for SCSI Tape Libraries

   ADSM 3.1.2.1 includes ADSM-controlled cleaning of tape drives in a
   SCSI library and partial support in stand-alone (manual) libraries.

   This support is intended to be used ONLY for those scsi libraries that
   do NOT have their own automatic cleaning in the device hardware.
   Automatic cleaning is included in such libraries as the STK 9710 and
   IBM 3570 and 3575, and ADSM is not aware or involved with it in any
   way.

Richard Sims, BU