ADSM-L

question on dsmerror.log

2000-07-13 03:02:36
Subject: question on dsmerror.log
From: Eric Tang <tangeric AT HK1.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 15:02:36 +0800
HI all,

HP-UX11   adsm client 3.1.0.6
AIX4.1    adsm server 3.1.2.13

Below is "dsmc inc" command I code in unix script & run through 3rd party
scheduler on client machine.

dsmc inc "/*" -virtualn=nodeid -pass=xxxxx 1>>adsm.log 2>>adsm.errlog
rc=$?

in backing up "/" output in adsm.log:

Incremental backup of volume '/'
ANS4010E Error processing '/': stale NFS handle

Total number of objects inspected:        1
Total number of objects backed up:        0
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:          0
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred:        0
Data transfer time:                    0.00 sec
Network data transfer rate:            0.00 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate:          0.00 KB/sec
Objects compressed by:                    0%
Elapsed processing time:           00:00:04

I think the 'ANS4010E stale NFS handle' is related to cdrom and is
resolved. The ANS4010E message is logged in standard output adsm.log but
not dsmerror.log nor adsm.errlog in my case. ANS4010E is also not recorded
in activity log of adsm server, In my case, the $? returns nonzero code, so
the scheduler alert the error.

Recently, "stale NFS handle" is discussed in this forum, I am particular
interested in how you get
this error message. On ADSM server, apart from "q event", do you also check
 "Days Since Last Backup
Completed" from "q files nodename f=d". As I am setting up a new TSM server
 for clients using adsm
scheduler, just want to know the proper setup to monitor daily backup
activities.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Eric Tang