ADSM-L

Re: how can I free up Tapes ?

2000-07-12 20:12:38
Subject: Re: how can I free up Tapes ?
From: Joe Faracchio <brother AT SOCRATES.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:12:38 -0700
I was watching for lost tapes in the robot by doing Query Libvol and
looking for Private but w/o DATA and checking to see if they should
be Scratch instead.  Sometimes it happens.  I do the bad thing ...

But now I discovered scratch tapes that are Private and *DO* say Data.

The reason?    The had the physical tape ReadWrite Tab on ReadOnly!!!!
Ouch!  So when the system trys to use it it kicks out but then puts
it back tothe Lib as Private/Data.   That's a Black Hole!!!

I have found if you have a very busy & dynamic system then you have just
GOT TO do reclamation as agressivelly as possible.  Otherwise you end up
with a lot of dead-wood.

And with collocation on reclamating and returning the tapes to onsite
enables the number of tapes a user spans to be minimized.

... joe.f.

Joseph A Faracchio, Systems Programmer, UC Berkeley