ADSM-L

issue with TSM 9840 tape load error !!!!!!

2000-07-12 13:32:59
Subject: issue with TSM 9840 tape load error !!!!!!
From: "Long, Matt" <Matt.Long AT MARRIOTT DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 13:32:59 -0400
All,

        It appears that every time TSM seeks further down a 9840 tape to
perform a read or write action, an error code is generated which causes the
tape to go offline.  TSM said that they saw identical behavior with another
customer who was using DLT 7000 tape drives.  They said that they migrated
another customers system from 3.1.2 to 3.7.3 and saw the same issues.
Therefore, its possible that TSM 3.7.3 is having issues reading the STK 9840
tape drive because of the level is not properly supported.  I also looked in
the trace files and saw that TSM was generating an "unknown" condition every
time the software was seeking to tape.  TSM infers that the TSM software
might not be properly handling generic type tape drives. I am running HPUX
11.0  with TSM 3.7.3 with 9840 drives.  Please assist !!!!!

Matt Long
Systems Administration
Marriott International