ADSM-L

Re: DLT-7000 Tapes

2000-07-12 10:04:03
Subject: Re: DLT-7000 Tapes
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:04:03 -0500
Well, if you're willing to go with the vendor statement on DLT IV media:

        1/2 inch data cartridge
      Metal particle formulation for high durability
      1,828 feet length
      30 year archival storage life
      1,000,000 passes MTBF
      35 GB native capacity on DLT 7000, 20GB on DLT 4000
      40 GB native capacity on DLT 8000

I've had my library for just under three years, with no real idea of mounts
(although I'm sure I've pounded volume 000000 pretty heavily in that time).
I've had *one* tape that I've pulled because of a write error that was not
tape-drive dependant. All my other problems could be tracked back to tape
drives with problems. The first two power supplies that STK installed with
the DLT 7000 had real problems with voltage drift, resulting in tapes that
weren't readable.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc.