ADSM-L

Re: migrate mvs server to unix

2000-07-07 11:38:29
Subject: Re: migrate mvs server to unix
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 11:38:29 -0400
>We're planning on moving from a MVS server to a UNIX
>server, sometime the first of next year.  We were told
>that (for whatever reason), HSM data on clients is not
>migratable from one server to the next, even though we
>plan on using the same tape library.

Tracy - Whoever told you that should explain to you what they
        meant.  Certainly the Export Node command will export
Spacemanaged data.  You didn't tell us what flavor of Unix, but
certainly AIX and Solaris have HSM client support.
Worst case, you could get two 36GB disks for all the data, mark
it Read-without-recall on the present client, and network transfer
it to the new system's disks for non-HSM storage.  And there are
file systems which auto-compress data.  Lots of possibilities
with today's technology.
   Richard Sims, BU