ADSM-L

Re: Exclude continued

2000-07-05 09:51:08
Subject: Re: Exclude continued
From: Andy Raibeck <Andrew_Raibeck AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 06:51:08 -0700
Hello,

The asterisk (*) character represents 0 (zero) or more
characters. The pattern you are using, *.*, means
0 or more characters, followed by exactly one period
(.), followed by zero or more characters.

Since your pattern includes the period character, but
extensionless files have no period in them, they will
not fit the EXCLUDE patterns you have defined.

Instead of coding this:

   EXCLUDE *:\...\*.*

code this:

   EXCLUDE *:\...\*

The best way to do what you want to do (per your
original note on this subject) would be something
like this:

   EXCLUDE *:\...\*
   INCLUDE C:\EXCHANGE\...\*
   INCLUDE C:\DATA\...\*
   INCLUDE D:\DATA\...\*

Directory entries for C: and D: will still get backed up,
but only the files in C:\EXCHANGE, C:\DATA, and D:\DATA
will be backed up.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM/Tivoli
e-mail: andrew.raibeck AT tivoli DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

All,

I guess in the end this damned thing will work.

Even tho I have an Exclude for *:* and *:*.*, the damned client is still
including all files in the backup that have no extension.

Shouldn't the *:* stop that from happening ?

Sigh,

Mike Glassman
System & Security Admin
Israeli Airports Authority
Ben-Gurion Airport
http://www.ben-gurion-airport.co.il

Tel : 972-3-9710785
Fax : 972-3-9710939
Email : admin AT iaa.gov DOT il

Usage of this email address or any email address at iaa.gov.il for the
purpose of sales pitches, SPAM or any other such unwanted garbage, is
illegal, and any person, whether corporate or alone doing so, will be
prosecuted to the fullest possible extent.