ADSM-L

Re: Colocation and rebinding

2000-07-03 12:32:43
Subject: Re: Colocation and rebinding
From: Steven Bridge <ccaasub AT UCL.AC DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 17:32:43 +0100
>personally I'd use #2
>where I'm at we can't baby-sit the clients and what if a client adds a new
>file space and forgets to update the inclexcl to bind it to the collocated
>mgmtclass... (trust me it will happen)
>So your option #2 eliminates any problems from such an event.

Fortunately, my large clients that I'm considering colocating are under my
control ( wearing my filestore administrator hat ) and the inclexcl file
is appropriately wild-carded to include any new user areas. So this is
not such a concern here.

Allen S. Rout has described a procedure ( Thanks for that ) for using
'move data' to re-assign pre-change data to co-located storage pools.
But with between 100 - 400 GB data per node spread over 50 tapes - I was
hoping for a less labour and time intensive procedure using the
automatic daily reclaim.

It would appear that switching domains would not allow this option -
but it is unclear whether switching management classes as in my first
option also forces me to use the 'move data' technique. Or whether this
has any other ramifications - the manual implies that the files would
be rebound to the new management class - but does not give any further
details concerning the consequences of this.

>> I am considering the possibility of colocating the backups of nodes
>> that have up to now not been colocated.
>>
>> The problem is that I only want to colocate some of the nodes within an
>> existing policy domain - therefore I cannot simply update the copy group
>> to a new storage pool destination.
>>
>> I can see two options :
>> (1) Create a new management class the same as the existing default used
>>     but with a different destination in the backup copygroup, and update
>>     the client exclusions files on the nodes that I wish to colocate to
>>     use the new management class.
>> Or
>> (2) Copy the policy domain to a new one but within this change the copy
>>     group destination within the default management class, and then
>>     update the nodes that I wish to colocate so that they are associated
>>     with the new domain.
>>
>> What I'm not sure of is how either of these changes will affect all the
>> backups that already exist for those nodes. Will they be rebound to the
>> new management class ? Will this impose a massive overhead at the next
>> backup ? Will they still be accessible or will new backups be triggered ?

 Steven Bridge     Systems Group, Information Systems, EISD
                          University College London
 email: s.bridge AT ucl.ac DOT uk                   tel: +44 (0)20 7679 2794