ADSM-L

Re: prepostscheduledcmd question

2000-07-03 12:03:04
Subject: Re: prepostscheduledcmd question
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 12:03:04 -0400
> Just been reading about the prescheduledcmd and postscheduledcmd client
> options. The documentation is a little bit vague about the use of these
> options !!!!
>
> Is anyone using these options ? If you are, what are you using them for and
> would it be possible to provide any examples. The examples in the
> documentation are for starting and stopping a database.

We almost never use these options because of their lack of error checking.
Even if the command run with the preschedulecmd option fails, ADSM will
blunder onward and attempt to perform the backup. Even if the command run with
the postschedulecmd option fails, ADSM will report successful completion of
the overall backup process. Given these fundamental design deficiencies, we
generally run scripts that shut down databases, execute a 'dsmc incremental',
and restart databases, with appropriate error checking at each stage of the
process.