ADSM-L

Re: Tape/Optical Storage Lifetimes

2000-05-31 10:03:42
Subject: Re: Tape/Optical Storage Lifetimes
From: Reinhold Wagner <rwagner AT ZEUNASTAERKER DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:03:42 +0200
I began to work with computers in 1981. At this time we used 1/2 inch tape
reels. Ten years later
we moved to 1/2 inch cartridges (IBM 3480). Since last year we use IBM 3590.
This meens 3
generations of tape media and hardware within 20 years. And innovation speed
will increase as
the announcements of the next generations show.

If I would need to read our old reels, i would not have the hardware. And even
if the hardware
would be present, i would lack the correspondig operating system and application
software.

I think the problem isn't the reliability of the media but the availability of
software and know how.

Reinhold Wagner, Zeuna Staerker GmbH & Co. KG