ADSM-L

Re: Tape/Optical Storage Lifetimes

2000-05-31 07:32:26
Subject: Re: Tape/Optical Storage Lifetimes
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 07:32:26 -0400
>Does anyone know of a website/document that summarises the certified lifetimes
>for the various kinds of media available on the market today.  I am especially
>interested in media that will last >50years

In general, high quality tapes stored in environmentally controlled conditions
and not overly used will easily last that long (as witness very old magnetic
audio recordings).  But the standard problem with keeping media that long is:
How are you going to then retrieve the data?  Technology relentlessly advances,
rendering today's equipment obsolete after 5 years or so.  Do you really expect
to have your current tape drive technology under vendor maintenance for the next
50 years?
    Richard Sims, BU