ADSM-L

TSM support of digital tl891 library

2000-05-30 11:36:15
Subject: TSM support of digital tl891 library
From: Maria Paz Gimeno <MPGIMENO AT SANTANDERSUPERNET DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 17:36:15 +0200
I have already sent this message some time ago, but I have had no answer from
you.
We have installed TSM 3.7.0 but there is no way to write to the tapes.
The system is HP-UX 11.0. the library Digital TL892 dlt tape.
Has somebody a similar configuration that  works?

This is the problem we have:
If we label the tapes with dsmlabel and try to use -barcode the cartridge has a
seven character barcode label with 6 numbers and letter E (should mean type of
cartridge) and the system rejects it because it has more than 6 characters.
If we do not use -barcode but instead we let the system make the prompt for the
label we end up with an error Write failed errno=5
and the tape is not labeled.

If we define it to TSM we are able to write a label on the tapes using barcode,
but then the label is a 7 characters label, with the E included. When the
system mounts it for backup it  gives an error when trying to write to it.
Those are the messages we receive:
ANR8337I GENERICTAPE volume 000007E mounted in drive DRIVE2 (/dev/rmt/1m)
ANR1340I Scratch volume 000007E is now defined in storage pool LT981POOL
ANR8311E  An I/O error occurred while accessing drive DRIVE2 (/dev/rmt/1m) for
WRITE operation, errno = 5
ANR1411W access mode for volume 000007E now set to "read-only" due to write
error
ANR1181E astxn.c336: Data storage transaction 0:23494 was aborted
ANR0532W smnode.c1417: transaction 0:23494 was aborted for session 278 for node
ESALC001 (HPUX)
..
.. (no data is processed)
..
ANR1341I Scratch volume 000007E has been deleted from storage pool LT981POOL
ANR8468I GENERICTAPE volume 000007E dismounted from drive DRIVE2 (/dev/rmt/1m)
in library ROBOT

 Someone out there knows what can be the problem?

We are desperate, because the customer is going to migrate from Legato
Networker, but legato works without problems with the library and we are unable
to make TSM work.
In the end we will be using a 3494 with 3590 tapes, and the customer is
questioning whether we will be able to make it work
Thanks to anyone that can help