ADSM-L

Re: DIRMC Help

2000-05-30 00:44:52
Subject: Re: DIRMC Help
From: Joel Fuhrman <joelf AT CAC.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 21:44:52 -0700
On AIX, it defined in /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.sys.  The syntax is
"DIRMC <a_maintenance_class>".  There is only 1 directory maintenance class.
If you don't specifically define one, the system uses the maintenance class
with the longest retention period.  The reason to define a DIRMC, and it a
good one, is to isolate the directories in their own storage pools, both
tape and disk.  If a future restore, requires directories from tape, they
will all be on one tape.  Since file can not be restored until their parent
directories are restored, the restore will be much faster.

I highly recommend that you get the Redbook "Getting Started with TSM:
Implementation Guide"  SG24-5416-01  It will save you a lot of time and
trouble.