ADSM-L

Re: transfer rates

2000-05-29 08:45:00
Subject: Re: transfer rates
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 08:45:00 -0400
Ruud - My ADSM functional directory (see people.bu.edu/rbs) lists factors
       affecting backup time.  Your client might be short of real memory to
manage the file table that ADSM is referencing, and so a lot of paging may
be going on; but more likely I suspect that you have some serious subdirectory
imbalance in your file system, which slows access by anything using the file
system.  Outside of ADSM you can use the 'find' command to do a traversal to
gain information (via your choice of -exec command) and to demonstrate how
long the traversal natively takes.  Inside ADSM, you can perform a client trace
to categorize where the time is going.
     Richard Sims, BU