ADSM-L

Compression on NT-Clients

2000-05-29 04:34:10
Subject: Compression on NT-Clients
From: Robert Fijan <robert.polensak AT LVA-WUERTTEMBERG DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 09:34:10 +0100
Good Morning *sm-Folks.

I hope you had a nice weekend, cause mine was great.

But now i want to report my latest problem:

I'm running a ADSM-Server 3.1.2.50 on OS/390 and the same Version on NT and
AIX-Clients. On the AIX-Clients, i'm working with compression on client-side
since i started backing them up, and it worked fine, with rates between 50 and
80% of compression.

On friday, i decided to test compresion on NT-Clients as well. a now the big
suprise: the compression-rate is 0%. but it should be about 70% or more, because
i created some large files ( 40 files with about 1.1 GB ), and they are nearly
empty, means they contain nearly only hex-zeroes.

Now my question: why doesn't NT compress these files? My seetings are:

On serverside:       In the definition of the Clientnode i say compression
Client    ( the same in all the defined Nodes )

On clientside:         in the dsm.opt-file i say   Compression    Yes

Is there any fault in my settings? What do i have to do to let the client
compress the data before transferring them?

Please help me, i need a little sucess.

Greetings and thanks a lot