ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:30:27

Geoff,

Attached is the options file that we are using here.  Yes, we run the backup through a cmd file, I've also attached a copy of it.  It mainly consists of setting some environment variables, running the backup, running a backup delete, and then ftping the logs to a central server used for reporting.

We are implementing a full backup strategy, where we backup the entire database every night.  Your environment will dictate what type of backup strategy you should use.  The TDP for SQL Installation & Users guide has some good info on how to set this up.  We do direct our SQL backups to a special management class, as the manual dictates, the retain versions deleted parameter in the backup copy group must be set to 0 for backups to expire properly.  Yes, the expire automatically after they've been marked expired.  To mark them expired you must use the adsmdelete or autodelete command in the client.

<<dsmSQL.opt>> <<sqlbkup.cmd>>

Rick Smith
Storage Management LTSB Team
State Farm Insurance
(309) 735-3086

-----Original Message-----
From: GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM [mailto:GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM]
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2000 12:34 PM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Subject: SQL Agent

Hi all,

I'm looking for a little help on the SQL end of things. Does anyone have a
good dsm.opt to use with the SQL agent? I'd like to compare what I've come
up with and see if I'm getting this right. I was also wondering if you run
the backup through a .cmd file that ADSM calls for the backup. Does anyone
have a good example of what this should include?

How do you do SQL backups, full every day with one schedule? Incrementals 6
days a week and one full??? I'm not sure how I need to set this up. I was
also wondering if I need to include a management class in the dsm.opt to
have the files expire on their own....or do they really?
Thanks for the help...
Geoff Gill
NT Systems Support Engineer
Computer Systems Group