ADSM-L

Re: Procedure if Primary Storage Pool Lost

2000-05-25 16:00:00
Subject: Re: Procedure if Primary Storage Pool Lost
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 16:00:00 -0400
I've done this in drills, never for real; but your scenario looks good to
me.
(Also Ive never had the luxury of a library for copypools!)

Consider that when you go to your "other" location to rebuild your server,
you will first install the TSM code, then reload the data base.

Now, when you first install a new TSM, it won't know anything about your
library, or drives.  And you'll need at least a drive to reload your data
base backup.  So it would be REAL helpful for you to have a copy of your
dsmserv.opt and devconfig file at that "other" location.  And of course, you
need to know the size of your data base and log files (to reload the DB you
must have the db and log defined with at least as much space as the one that
made the backup).  And of course, you need to know which of those umpty-ump
tapes in the off-site library is the most recent data base backup that
you'll want to reload.

A good thing to do is to periodically just copy your devconfig and volhist,
and the output of a Q SYSTEM and send it over there  (or if you are using
DRM, the DRMPLAN file.)
Then all you have to do is use the devconfig and dsmserv.opt with the
newly-installed TSM.  That saves a LOT of effort trying to get the library
and drives redefined to the new TSM.

Now you do have to check the devconfig file, and make sure the mtx numbers
for drives on your new host match the numbers on the old host; to do that
you can just edit the devconfig file while TSM is down.  Then you're ready
to reload the data base with dsmserv RESTOREDB.

And when you reload your data base, the library inventory will be up to date
again and you should be ready to roll with your restores.

Good luck!

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert