ADSM-L

Re: Procedure if Primary Storage Pool Lost

2000-05-25 14:35:37
Subject: Re: Procedure if Primary Storage Pool Lost
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 14:35:37 -0400
Hi Wanda:
Your senario seems straightfoward. We've never been in a disaster recovery
situation. Have you ever had to do this?
At our site we are adding a second tape library that will hold our copypool
volumes. This library will be in a separate location. So given your senario we
would:
1). Rebuild the server at the second site
2). Attach the library at that site and retain the library definitions
3). follow your procedure setting the copypool readonly, primary storage pool
unavailable
4). Do all restores
5). Subsequently rebuild server at work location
6). Define new storage pools (or reuse old storage pool defs)
7). Do new backups
8). Mark old storage pools volumes as destroyed
9). Delete old storage pools (if new ones defined)

Does that sound reasonable?

Larry Clark
NYS Thruway Authority

>>> Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU 05/25/00 02:06PM >>>
I can't think of any way to redesignate a copy pool as a primary pool.
However, you normally wouldn't need to; ADSM just looks at which tapes are
currently marked as being available for mounting.

In a disaster recovery situation, you are presumably working at a recovery
site, and all your copy pool tapes are there with you (the primary tapes
having gone up in flames or under in the earthquake, whatever).

All you have to do after rebuilding your ADSM data base at your recovery
site is to run "update volume * wherestgpool=your-copypool-name
access=readonly", and "update volume * wherestgpool=your-primary-pool-name
access=unavailable".

Then when you try a RESTORE, ADSM will see that the primary pool tape is not
available, but the copy pool tape is available.  So it will automatically
call for the copy pool tape when it's needed for the restore.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert