ADSM-L

Re: Window 98 Registry backup problem

2000-05-24 15:48:05
Subject: Re: Window 98 Registry backup problem
From: Andy Raibeck <Andrew_Raibeck AT TIVOLI DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 12:48:05 -0700
Hi Wayne and Gary,

The ANS4036E during Windows 95 or 98 backup may also be due to the
problem identified in APAR IC26855. There is a fixtest for this
APAR on the ftp site in the tivoli-storage-management/patches
directory structure (you can navigate your way to the fixtest
from there). The fixtest is IP21933_02.

The specific code defect fixed for this APAR are not the only
way you can get the ANS4036E message, but it is a likely candidate.
I've also heard of cases where the first registry backup after
cleaning up adsm98.sys works fine, but subsequent backups fail.
If the problem resurfaces, consider applying this fix.

Best regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM/Tivoli
e-mail: andrew.raibeck AT tivoli DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

Wayne,

        Were there any errors logged against the disk in the system event
file (not being a W98 user, I don't know what the equivalent to Event Viewer
is)?  Maybe there was a bad spot on the disk or one of the files had an
outstanding lock against it.  Then again, it may have been a gremlin, who
knows?

        Gary L. Ison
        Governor's Office for Technology
        101 Cold Harbor Drive
        Frankfort, Ky.   40601
        Phone:  (502) 564-8724
            Fax:  (502) 564-6856
E-mail: Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky DOT us <mailto:Gary.Ison AT mail.state.ky
DOT us>