ADSM-L

Re: Questions about optimum space allocation for storage pools

2000-05-24 10:16:47
Subject: Re: Questions about optimum space allocation for storage pools
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:16:47 -0400
Hi Rick:
For convenience we have our disk based volumes sized as one volume / disk and
multiple disks assigned to a specific storage pool as needed.

/var/diskpool/diskvol1/-  AIXDISKARCH  DISK         16,813.0    0.0  On-Line
 vol1

>>> rnaquin AT GIANTOFMARYLAND DOT COM 05/24/00 09:40AM >>>
Hello all,
Due to a colleague moving on, I have assumed  responsibility for a new TSM
environment running on AIX.  Our existing TSM environment is running on MVS and
the mainframe is being relocated, dictating a need to move to a local AIX
server.   My AIX environment is an F50 with a 3494 ATL and 12     18.1 GB  SSA
drives.   We intend to allocate two disk storage pools.  Archive pool is only
about 10 GB.  The backup pool will eventually utilize the remainder.   How best
should I allocate the space needed for the storage pools?    Do I allocate a
slew of 2GB logical volumes/filesystems?     Larger logical volumes housing
multiple filesystems?   Should I use Large Block Enabled filesystems to allocate
files larger than 2 GB?   Is there a method recomended to spread the files
across the spindles that would be beneficial for TSM?

Is there any known documentation that might  point this obviously
"un-enlightened" person in the direction of TSM storage pool allocation
wizardry?

Thanks
Rick  Naquin
rnaquin AT giantofmaryland DOT com