ADSM-L

restoring a backed up file not in the adsm-database

2000-05-24 09:02:49
Subject: restoring a backed up file not in the adsm-database
From: david de leeuw <david AT BGUMAIL.BGU.AC DOT IL>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 16:02:49 +0300
A user overwrote a very important file. This was not
noted for over a week.

Our adsm backup "policy" is set to keep four inactive copies.

The user file is updated daily.
So the active file and the four inactive files made this user file reay
for expiration . The present adsm database doesn't hold information on the
"old" file, but the file is present on the backup tapes.

We would like to restore one of our older adsm-database copies and restore
from there the specific file.

How to go about it ?

I could try and establish a second adsm server, recreate devices, restore
the database from tape (reload db) and restore the file.

This seems to be a complicated process.

Is this the way to go, or is some shortcut possible ?

Thanks

David
internet:  david AT bgumail.bgu.ac DOT il   __o   David de Leeuw
phone:     +972-7-6 47 7398        _`\<,_  Head, Medical Computing Unit
phone BGU: 7398 Soroka: 62 7398   (_)/ (_) Ben Gurion Univ. of the Negev
fax:       +972-7-6 47 7630                POB 653 Beer Sheva Israel
  save the environment and your health: re- and bi- cycle !
  save the environment and your health: re- and bi- cycle !