ADSM-L

Process Preemption

2000-05-23 14:09:50
Subject: Process Preemption
From: Bob Booth - CCSO <booth AT CHIANTI.CSO.UIUC DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 13:09:50 -0500
Has anyone within *SM development looked into the requirement of allowing
the ADSM adminstrator to set process priorities for pre-emption?  I keep having
the nagging problem of restarting my backup stg process, because of a client
restore, yet my reclaims keep running.

It seems backwards for a disaster recovery backup (backup stg) would be
canceled over a reclaim process, since the reclaim process will restart at
some point in time after it has been killed.  The backup stg however, needs
to be restarted by hand (as far as I can tell).

I looked at some of the scripts that IBM provides, and noticed one that runs
a backup stg with 'wait=yes'.  If it fails, the script will reschedule it for
some time in the future and try again.  This seems to be a 'sort of' solution
to the problem, but I am confused about the 'wait=yes', since it says that
it will wait for the process to complete before other tasks can proceed, which
I don't consider to be a good thing for me.

The nice thing to do, would be to exhange the priority for the reclaim and
backup stg process.  The reclaim will restart after a certain amount of time
anyway.  I am more concerned about getting my disaster recovery tapes created,
than I am emptying a few tapes.  Another solution would be to allow the
administrator to set the priorities.

Bob Booth