ADSM-L

Re: Problem with VM server and AIX client

2000-05-23 09:08:38
Subject: Re: Problem with VM server and AIX client
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 09:08:38 -0400
>Our 3.7.2 client on AIX 4.3.3 crashes during backup.
>We reported this problem to TIVOLI. They asked on what platform
>the server runs and when they heard "VM" they immediately sent
>the problem to IBM.
>
>What's your experience with Tivoli and IBM? Who is going to solve
>problems? The provider of the client or the server code?
>Or are they just trying to play ping-pong with a poor customer?

Recall that Tom Sawyer got someone else to paint the fence...
This has the same flavor of that situation about a year ago when
use of the Linux client caused the ADSM server to crash - and
ADSM Support dismissed it as a Linux problem, as though it was
okay for the server to be vulnerable.
Without really knowing the specifics, I'd hope that what they're
doing is actually working together to resolve the problem; but
in any case the client "crash" is its own problem, and the client
developers need to fix that.  A software module should be able to
protect itself against ordinary ills, and gracefully handle them
with a helpful error message.
   Richard Sims, BU