ADSM-L

Re: To DBCOPY or not to DBCOPY

2000-05-23 02:09:39
Subject: Re: To DBCOPY or not to DBCOPY
From: Andreas Buser <andreas.buser AT BASLER DOT CH>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 08:09:39 +0200
Our DB is on RAID5 Disks, we do not use DBCOPY, but logging instead.

Kind Regards
Andreas Buser

Tel: ++41 61 285 73 21  Fax: ++41 61 285 70 98

Email: Andreas.Buser AT Basler DOT ch

Address:
Basler Versicherungen
Andreas Buser
Abt. Informatik
Aeschengraben 21
4002 Basel
Switzerland

                    Peter Griffin
                    <peter.griffin@ZURI        An:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    CH.COM.AU>                 Kopie:
                    Gesendet von:              Thema:  To DBCOPY or not to
DBCOPY
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"
                    <[email protected]

                    23.05.00 02:45
                    Bitte antworten an
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

Just as all the documentation recommends we have set up our db volumes to
have
DBCOPY volumes for mirroring.  Because these volume, both the dbase and the
dbcopies are on RAID 1 disk I question the necessity of the DBCOPY volumes.

I do not have an option to drop the RAID 1 disk and the controller of the
disk
is smart enough to direct reads from either disk depending on load
balancing
requirements therefore negating the read benifits of software mirroring.

I would be interested  in your opinions on this theory especially if I am
missing a key benefit of the software mirroring.

Peter Griffin

Storage Administrator
Zurich Financial Services Australia

--------------------
"This email is intended for the named recipient only.  The information
"This email is intended for the named recipient only.  The information
contained
in this message may be confidential, or commercially sensitive.  If you are
not
the intended recipient you must not reproduce or distribute any part of the
email, disclose its contents to any other party, or take any action in
reliance
on it. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender
immediately.  Please delete this message from your computer."