ADSM-L

Re: W95, TSM and NAV

2000-05-19 16:15:48
Subject: Re: W95, TSM and NAV
From: Zoltan Forray <ZForray AT SATURN.VCU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 16:15:48 -0400
> I have not heard of this problem before.
>
> Some questions:
>
> 1) Which specific edition of Windows 95 you are running pre-OSR2,
>    OSR2 or higher, or what? If you are not sure, what does the VER
>    command (run from an MS-DOS prompt) show?

"B" (4.00.950B from the CP and 4.00.1111 from VER).

> 2) Which version of the TSM client are you running? Please specify
>    the complete version number (i.e. 3.7.1.06, 3.7.2.01, etc).

Latest and greatest !  Pulled it down after you said it was
refreshed/replaced. In fact, I just updated the machine, yesterday, in hopes
of stopping the crash, but it didn't (yes, I did reboot after installing,
just to be safe !!).

> 3) Can you include the *complete* contents of your dsm.opt file?

Here it is. I stripped out just the comments (which made me realize there
are *2* TCPSERVERADDRESS statements....I inherited this....obviously needs
cleanup !!)
tcpport          1500
TCPServeraddress localhost
ipxsocket        0005
ipxserveraddress 0000000000409512588A
netbiosname       client1
netbiosservername ntserver1
namedpipename \\.\pipe\adsmpipe
Exclude "*:\macintosh volume\*"
Exclude "*:\macintosh volume\*.*"
Exclude "*:\macintosh volume\...\*"
Exclude "*:\macintosh volume\...\*.*"
Exclude "*:\microsoft uam volume\*"
Exclude "*:\microsoft uam volume\*.*"
Exclude "*:\microsoft uam volume\...\*"
Exclude "*:\microsoft uam volume\...\*.*"
Exclude "*:\...\EA DATA. SF"
Exclude *:\...\pagefile.sys
Exclude *:\IBMBIO.COM
Exclude *:\IBMDOS.COM
Exclude *:\MSDOS.SYS
Exclude *:\IO.SYS
Exclude *:\...\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\*.*
Exclude *:\...\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\...\*
NodeName  TELEPCAT
TCPServeraddress 128.172.2.24
TCPBUFFSIZE   31
TCPWINDOWSIZE 24
LANG AMENG
DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL
PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE

> 4) Does the problem occur as soon as you start the scheduler, or
>    is it only when it attempts to start a scheduled backup? Just
>    before the crash, does the client ever contact the server? Are
>    you using prompted or polling mode?

Prompted. Scheduler runs all day, no problems. I think it crashes when it
kicks off.
Cant say for sure since the backup is scheduled for 3AM and the machine has
the BSOD at 8AM when the owner comes in in the AM.

> 5) What kind of schedule is this? Is it just a plain old
>    incremental backup? Or are you doing something more special
>    than that.

Standard incremental. Here are 5 contiguous entries from the dsmerror.log
file, covering all I have for the last three days, since it has crashed
every day since 05/17/2000. Excuse the 21:28 times in the first entries. I
accidently had the node backup scheduled twice.

05/17/2000 21:28:12 GetBackupStreamSize(): FindFirstBackupStream(): Win32 RC
= 0.
05/17/2000 21:28:12 ANS1228E Sending of object
'\\tele-pollcat\d$\AxisV3.3.1\telemgr.lbr' failed
05/18/2000 13:43:50 Error 6 killing thread -379297.
05/18/2000 15:13:57 Error 6 killing thread -584305.
05/19/2000 08:45:48 ANS1076E *** Directory path not found ***
05/19/2000 08:46:10 GetBackupStreamSize(): FindFirstBackupStream(): Win32 RC
= 0.

> 6) Is this machine's configuration unique? That is, it it the only
>    Windows 95 machine running TSM client and NAV 2000? If not, does
>    the problem occur for any other machines?

As far as I know, I don't have any other W95 machines being backed up with
*SM.